Forget you!

I see you driving 'round town
With the girl I love and I'm like,
Forget you!
Oo, oo, oooo
I guess the change in my pocket
Wasn't enough, I'm like,
Forget you!
And forget her too!
Said, if I was richer, I'd still be with ya
ha, oh ain't that some stuff?
ain't that some stuff?
And although there's pain in my chest
I still wish you the best with a...
Forget you!
Oo, oo, oooo

“Forget You”
Cee-Lo Green

Lately this song makes me laugh every time it comes on the radio. Heartbreak and betrayal, of course, are far from funny when we experience them- and many of us know this to be true from personal experience. Perhaps this is why the song is so wildly popular- many of us wish we had the guts to say “forget you!” to whoever has hurt us in the past.

The truth is, cheating and two-timing are forms of manipulation and folks, well, manipulation is one form of emotional abuse that can have some really painful consequences for the person on the receiving end. This is a perfect example of how in our society many forms of abuse aren’t even recognized as such. In fact, for many people, only physical abuse really qualifies as “domestic violence.”

What about you? Do you think cheating, lying to, and/or two-timing your partner are forms of abuse?

Alyse L.

0 comments: