There is Nothing Perfect about a "Perfect Nightmare"



Another song about troubled relationships has graced the pop airways. Shontelle’s new hit single “Perfect Nightmare” is playing so much I am having dreams about it.

In this song, Shontelle describes the flood of emotions and uncertainty that are so common for survivors in abusive relationships. She waits for him to change, disguises her pain, and keeps telling herself she doesn’t deserve it. She even packs her bags to leave, but just can’t because she doesn’t want to leave him alone. As she sings, “They say I’m brainwashed but I’m in love with this man,” I think about survivors everywhere who are feeling judged by their friends and family if they are struggling to leave their relationship.

My only concern with the song is the chorus. “But if it’s from you I don’t mind hurting, this in my perfect nightmare.” It is my hope that using this language doesn’t romanticize this sort of unhealthy relationship. But you all are wise readers. What do you think?

Sometimes we fight
Sometimes I cry
Why don't I
Just tell him goodbye
Sometimes I should
But sometimes I don't
Build up the strength to
Say that it's wrong
Sometimes I hate
Sometimes I love
Sometimes I hurt
Sometimes I don't
Sometimes I wait
For him to change
But it's okay
I've disguised the pain
And I don't ever wanna leave him alone
They say i'm brainwashed but i'm in love
With this man
Yeah

(chorus)
Keep telling myself that it's not worth it
I already know I don't deserve it
But if it's from you I don't mind hurting
This is my perfect nightmare
So when will I wake up and scream
No way (x7)
But if it's from you I don't mind hurting
This is my perfect nightmare
Perfect nightmare

Sometimes I keep my cool
Sometimes I let him know
Sometimes I even pack my bags to walk out the door
Sometimes I feel safe
Sometimes I really don't
Sometimes I promise that i'm ready to let him go
But I don't ever wanna leave him alone
They say i'm brainwashed but i'm in love
With this man
Ohh ohhh

Hoping he's changing
But i'm scared he's not
Can't see a way to leave
Help me open my eyes

-Laura B.

0 comments: