I was pleasantly surprised watching the world premiere of the movie on Lifetime. I think that Hollywood glamorizes dating and domestic violence, or brushes it off as the status quo within relationships, but this movie was well done. “Reviving Ophelia” addressed all of the issues that surround teen dating violence including the warning signs of a potentially abusive partner; the different forms of abuse; the barriers that keep girls from leaving; the role a friend can play; and the counseling and legal component of dealing with teen dating violence. This movie covered all of the important points. Let’s break the movie down into The Good, The Bad, and The Ok

The Good
I think the warning signs were easy to spot. Did you catch them all? I liked how the storyline showed that an abusive relationship doesn’t always start out with physical violence. In “Reviving Ophelia,” the character, Mark was jealous, manipulative and controlling by telling Elizabeth what to wear. The movie also showed the difficulties that Elizabeth experienced with trying to break-up with Mark. The one barrier that stood out to me was that Mark showered her with apologies and gifts, and she believed him. What other types of abuse and barriers did you notice?

The Bad
While I thought that the movie was great overall, I did have problems with some of the plot points. Once Elizabeth’s parents were aware of the abuse and sent her to counseling, they rarely communicated with their daughter or the counselor. And realistically, we all know that it’s almost impossible for parents to make their children do something that they don’t want to do. I think that there should have been more information about the parents’ role in helping their teen out of an abusive relationship. Also, I thought the ending was horrible. I know…I know… it is a movie, and it has to have a happy ending. But the idea that Mark could be talked out of kidnapping, shooting and killing Elizabeth and him self by telling him that if he loved her he wouldn’t do it was ridiculous. I wish that escaping a dangerous, abusive relationship was that easy for all teens, but unfortunately we know that things like that only happen in the movies.

The OK
I liked that Kelly, Elizabeth’s cousin, knew that the relationship between Elizabeth and Mark wasn’t right and tried to help (as the intervening bystander). I thought that the idea of no one believing Kelly because she was the “troubled teen” in the family was a little over the top. I also thought that the story of Kelly’s behavior overshadowing her concern played well. But I believe that in reality, someone would have taken her concern more seriously before Elizabeth was punched in the face by Mark. What do you think?


So, what are your thoughts? Did you enjoy the movie as much as I did? What stood out for you? What did you learn? Post your comments below!

0 comments: